Most people are good at something. However, the truly exceptional people, the leaders and innovators, always seem to be successful at whatever they do. Here then, are the 10 secrets to being awesome at everything:
Whether it’s in the areas of technology, finances, or relationships, some people seem to be able to make the most of whatever resources are available to them. The greatest thing about their achievements, is that they can be replicated. That said, here are the 10 secrets to being awesome at everything.
1. Focus on your strengths. Most of us tend to spend most of our time trying to shore up our weaknesses instead of focusing on our strengths and relying on others who are strong in our weak areas to help us balance our lives. According to Tim Rath in his book StrengthsFinder 2.0 you can expect these key takeaways from his book:
- Your talents are enduring and unique.
- Your greatest potential for growth is in the area of your greatest strength.
- As an organization or as an individual you can reach your maximum potential only by using your individual strengths.
- It’s easy to match your strengths to your roles at work, home and in the community.
- You’ll always enjoy what you are doing when you use your true talents and strengths.
2. Do what inspires you. Mark Twain once said, “The key to success is to make your vocation your vacation.” When you’re engrossed in something, anything, that you’re passionate about, your excitement not only impels you on to further heights and successes, but also spreads to others. This attitude will also help you to endure when you meet with challenges.
3. People are your greatest asset. I once heard that we become the average of the 5 people we hang out with. By keeping company with many different types of people, especially those who are more successful that you, you increase your opportunities and expand your horizons. Whether through networking or simply providing you with opportunities to improve your communication, connecting with people is a resource you can’t afford to be without. Besides, what good is success at anything if you can’t share it with someone?
4. Don’t get bogged down in the details. You don’t have to be an expert at something to use it. For example, how many of us could easily describe the scientific principles and actions involved in electricity? Not likely too many of us. On the other hand, we’re all likely comfortable with flipping a light switch to turn on the light, aren’t we? Learn what you need to learn in order to accomplish your specific goal.
5. Patience may be a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing! We see it on t-shirts and company slogans everywhere. Never give up! The story is told of how Tomas Edison tried about 2 thousand times before he successfully invented an effective incandescent bulb. However, with each failure, he claimed that he had successfully found another way that didn’t work. There are no failures, only learning opportunities. Keep adjusting your actions until you obtain the results you desire.
6. Focus your attention. Imagine a giant piece of chocolate cake sitting in front of you, simply begging to be eaten. That thick, sugary frosting is tempting you beyond what you can bear. Now imagine taking the time to eat the cake first, leaving the frosting for the last (I can hear the 10 year old within you gasping in disbelief!). This illustration translates into doing the hardest or most challenging part of your work first. In other words, avoiding procrastination, which has the power to stop any endeavor dead in its tracks.
7. Prioritize your “to do” list. If you are new to time management or have a system that has overwhelmed you, drop back to the basics and and follow this simple system given to steel magnate, Charles Schwab by business consultant, Ivy Lee. In his system, Lee gave Schwab a blank sheet of paper and told him to:
- List the six most important things you have to do tomorrow.
- Number them in order of importance from #1 to #6.
- Tomorrow morning – start with #1 and stay with it until completed
- Only when #1 is complete may you go to #2. Repeat this process until the end of day. If you don’t finish your list, the remaining items probably weren’t that important anyway – with this in mind, you’ll know when to say no to a new task or give it to someone else.
8. Copy from the best. If anybody has created the results that you desire, find out how they did it. Save yourself from having to re-invent the wheel, so to speak. How someone accomplishes a specific task is actually the result of a number of factors, so take all of them into consideration, such as their beliefs, values, and what they actually did physically. This will also save you time, which is the one thing that no one can create more of.
9. Maintain a positive attitude. As Zig Ziglar, motivational speaker and trainer, once said, “Your attitude determines your altitude.” There are no failures, only learning opportunities. If the results you achieve aren’t what you’re aiming for, remember that it’s just a another chance to get it right. Keep adjusting your actions until you get the results that you do want.
10. Stay flexible. In today’s world, when everything is in flux and change, flexibility has become both the means to survival, and the secret of success. So, repeat after me, “We are ALL so very flexible.” <g>
We all yearn to achieve great results in all areas of our lives, from personal relationships to leading the market in our businesses. By implementing these few simple strategies consistently, you too can realize the level of excellence you want. Indeed, you can be awesome at everything!
If you enjoyed this article, you may also want to check out these others:
The Power of Telling Stories and Anecdotes in Presentations
Increase Your Credibility by Increasing Your Visibility
Using Social Media to Position Yourself as The Go To Expert
How to Successfully Localize Your Business
How To Increase Your Google Search Results Using YouTube.
This article is published by Will Sherwood | The Sherwood Group |Website Design | Graphic Design | Marketing Communications: The Sherwood Group has over 30 years of experience working with all sorts of companies, small and large. Our clients range from entrepreneurs to Fortune 500 firms, in nearly every business sector, from across the street to around the world (and yes, even Europe, China, and South America). Our goal is to create advertising, graphic design, website design, and marketing communication that still looks fresh and relevant 10-15 years later. Our mission is to stir your imagination and leave your competition shaken and wondering, Now what do we do?” We are located in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
Do you need help growing your business? Click here to check out the social media marketing and website design packages from The Sherwood Group. We’ll help you capture new business and achieve your goals.
“Like” us and/or “Follow” us at these social media sites and we’ll return the favor:
Please comment. We’d like to know if you found this article informative or helpful?
By CZ 24 May 2013
“especially those who are more successful *than* you”
By Taylor Swift 10 Dec 2018
yoyoyoyo bois im awesomer than you yoyoyooyo.